JOB TITLE: ADVOCACY DIRECTOR
January 31, 2021
Democracy for the Arab World Now (“DAWN”) is seeking a highly qualified applicant for the position of Advocacy Director to develop and implement advocacy strategies for the Middle East and North Africa countries and US foreign policy issues addressed by the organization. Serving as a key advocacy strategist, the Advocacy Director will ensure the highest standards of quality and efficacy for DAWN’s diverse advocacy efforts and help transform our research into concrete improvements in human rights and democracy practices. The position reports to the Executive Director of DAWN and will be preferably based in Washington DC.
- Provide overarching vision and priorities for DAWN’s advocacy related to human rights and democracy in the Middle East and North Africa;
- Lead DAWN’s advocacy with the US government, including the executive branch and key members of Congress and their staffs;
- Collaborate with the various parts of DAWN to identify and create opportunities that support their advocacy efforts;
- Work with the senior staff to design and implement online and offline campaigns that pressure repressive governments to change their policies;
- Build and manage relationships with coalition partners and stakeholders, including partner organizations, and diaspora communities; draft coalition letters and other policy advocacy statements, together with organizational allies, issue experts, and diaspora voices.
- Engage regularly with press corps including editorial boards and investigative journalists; serve as a public spokesperson of the organization when needed.
- Represent the organization in public events whether on panels, forums, dinners, or press conference;
- Write, edit, and produce compelling online campaign content. Create email alerts, issue briefs, webpages, social media, and other online and offline materials;
- Manage potential consultants and interns, as needed;
- Carry out other duties as required.
Education: An advanced (graduate) degree in international relations, journalism, law, social sciences, or commensurate experience is required.
A minimum seven years of relevant experience, substantial knowledge of the executive and legislative branches of the US government, and direct experience engaging with or working for the US government required. This position requires significant human rights and democracy policy experience and expertise, and a demonstrated commitment to human rights. Substantial advocacy experience is also strongly desired.
Required Skills and Knowledge:
- Excellent speaking, writing, and editing skills in English;
2. Demonstrated ability to think strategically and a proven track record of advocacy;
3. Experience speaking with the media and cultivating relationships with journalists;
4. Ability to defend and explain complex issues and positions to government officials, lawmakers, and the media;
5. Strong interpersonal skills to work collaboratively within DAWN as well as with others;
6. Ability to think creatively, initiate projects, and follow through on plans;
7. Demonstrated awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds, and orientations are required.
8. Also desirable are fluency in Arabic and experience conducting human rights or policy work in the Middle East and North Africa.
Salary and Benefits: DAWN seeks exceptional applicants and offers competitive compensation and employer-paid benefits. DAWN will pay reasonable relocation expenses and will assist employees in obtaining necessary work authorization, if required; citizens of all nationalities are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply: Please send to firstname.lastname@example.org a cover letter, a resume, and contact information for three references.
Please use “ADVOCACY DIRECTOR Application” as the subject of your email.
Only complete applications will be reviewed, and only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Equal Opportunity Employer
DAWN is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate in its hiring practices and, in order to build the strongest possible workforce, actively seeks a diverse applicant pool.
DAWN is a human rights and advocacy organization seeking to promote human rights and democracy in the Arab World. DAWN was founded by Jamal Khashoggi and works to uphold his vision for freedom, human rights and democracy in the Middle East and North Africa.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $80,000.00 – $100,000.00 per year