Rolling Deadline (until filled)
Democracy for the Arab World Now ("DAWN") is seeking a highly qualified applicant for the position of Development Director to lead our fundraising and development efforts. The Development Director will identify and cultivate potential funders, including institutions, foundations, and individuals; draft grant proposals, track benchmarks and draft reports to donors; organize special events, and work closely with the DAWN executive team and Board on developing and implementing fundraising strategy. The Development Director will have a demonstrated commitment to the mission of promoting democracy and human rights. The position reports to the Executive Director of DAWN and will be preferably based in Washington DC.
- Work closely with the Executive Director to develop and implement a comprehensive fundraising plan to increase resources and diversify funding sources;
- Use writing, speaking and editing skills to create powerful and persuasive cases for support; collaborate with DAWN staff and Communications Director to develop content;
- Identify foundations and funding sources; make approaches; network and cultivate contacts;
- Prepare grant proposals to potential funders, and write reports for grants received;
- Help to identify, cultivate and solicit individual donors; oversee individual prospect research and establish effective communications with them;
- Develop and implement a successful digital fundraising strategy, partnering with the Communications Director;
- Organize special fundraising events for potential and existing donors;
- Plan and oversee annual gala benefit, including event planning, and, if appropriate, sponsorship appeals and ticket sales;
- Draft annual fundraising reports and plans;
- Engage Board Members around short-term and long-term fundraising goals, and recruitment of new Board members.
- Work with DAWN executive team to plan budgets based on fundraising benchmarks;
- Perform other related duties as requested.
Education: Bachelor's degree required.
Experience: A minimum of three years of fundraising experience with non-profit organizations, with a successful track record of grant writing, grant management, and individual donor cultivation.
Required Skills and Knowledge:
- Demonstrated commitment to DAWN'S mission of promoting democracy and human rights;;
- Experience organizing special fundraising events and initiatives;
- Familiarity with fundraising and communications software;
- Strong organizational skills and discipline in safeguarding donor information and database records;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; ability to articulate the organization's philosophy, mission, and goals succinctly;
- Ability to handle multiple projects and work independently;
- Strong interpersonal skills to work collaboratively within DAWN as well as with others; and,
8. Ability to think creatively, initiate projects, and follow through on plans.
Salary and Benefits: DAWN seeks exceptional applicants and offers competitive compensation and employer-paid benefits. DAWN will pay reasonable relocation expenses and will assist employees in obtaining necessary work authorization, if required; citizens of all nationalities are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply: Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with a cover letter, a resume, and contact information for three references.
Please use "DEVELOPMENT DIRECTOR Application" as the subject of your email.
Only complete applications will be reviewed, and only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Equal Opportunity Employer
DAWN is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate in its hiring practices and, in order to build the strongest possible workforce, actively seeks a diverse applicant pool.
Job Type: Full-time
DAWN is a human rights and advocacy organization focused on promoting rights-respecting, democratically elected governments in the Arab World. DAWN was founded by Jamal Khashoggi and works to uphold his vision for freedom, human rights and democracy in the Middle East and North Africa.