JOB TITLE: EXECUTIVE EDITOR
February 15, 2021
DAWN seeks a full-time Executive Editor for its publication Democracy in Exile. The Executive Editor will have overall responsibility for soliciting, curating, and ensuring the editorial quality of the publication’s content and will oversee its day-to-day operations, helping to produce a steady stream of the published content. The Executive Editor will advance DAWN’s mission by giving voice to exiles from the Middle East and North Africa region and publishing content by experts and journalists that supports the ideals of democracy and human rights in the region and a critical examination of foreign policy toward the region. The position reports to the Executive Director of DAWN.
- Create the strategy, focus, and thematic approach of the publication and develop a wide range of content contributions tailored to the strategy;
- Define a target audience and develop a strategy to build and engage that audience;
- Curate and solicit articles from paid contributors, including political exiles, policy experts and DAWN’s fellows and staff; recruit new contributors from diverse and non-traditional backgrounds;
- Process, edit and select submissions for publication; ensure consistent quality of submissions; develop editorial procedures, including a house style guide, for contributors, editors and producers;
- Work with staff to help organize panels of experts on specific subjects or themes for focus in the publication;
- Work with DAWN Communications Director to develop multimedia for the publication and highlight and expand social media activity and traffic; and,
- Carry out other duties as required.
Education: Bachelor of Arts, required.
A minimum ten years of professional editing and/or reporting experience, preferably with experience on human rights and foreign policy related topics; a high level of energy, commitment, and enthusiasm for DAWN’s programs and goals.
Required Skills and Knowledge:
- Fluency in English; Arabic strongly desired; excellent writing, and editing skills in both languages;
- Ability to foster creative ideas to expand Democracy in Exile’s readership.
- Familiarity with AP style.
- Ability to identify and respond to broad trends in media coverage;
- Good organizational skills and strong interpersonal skills to work collaboratively within and outside of DAWN;
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and meet tight deadlines; strong multi-tasking skills and project management skills; ability to think critically about long-term operations and goals; and,
- Demonstrated awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds, and orientations.
Salary and Benefits: DAWN seeks exceptional applicants and offers competitive compensation and employer-paid benefits. DAWN will pay reasonable relocation expenses and will assist employees in obtaining necessary work authorization, if required; citizens of all nationalities are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply: Please send to email@example.com a cover letter, a resume, and contact information for three references.
Please use “Executive Editor Application” as the subject of your email.
Only complete applications will be reviewed, and only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Equal Opportunity Employer
DAWN is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate in its hiring practices and, in order to build the strongest possible workforce, actively seeks a diverse applicant pool.
DAWN is a human rights and advocacy organization that promotes human rights and democracy in the Arab World. DAWN was founded by Jamal Khashoggi and works to uphold his vision for freedom, human rights and democracy in the Middle East and North Africa.