DIRECTOR OF THE KHASHOGGI INDEX
June 1, 2021
Democracy for the Arab World Now (DAWN) is seeking a highly qualified applicant for the position of Director of the Khashoggi Index to lead efforts to develop, publish, and promote DAWN's Khashoggi Index, named after the organization's founder, slain Saudi Arabian journalist Jamal Khashoggi. The Khashoggi Index will measure the role of foreign governments in promoting or undermining human rights and democracy in each country of the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region. DAWN has forged a partnership with the Massachusetts Institute of Technology to prepare an annual survey underlying the Index, as well as the political and statistical analysis of the results. We hope that within a short period of time, the Index will become a vital resource for journalists, policymakers, academics, and advocates interested in political and social developments in the region. Depending on time constraints, the Director of the Khashoggi Index might also help develop and work on other research and analytical projects at DAWN. The Director must have a demonstrated commitment to the mission of DAWN, promoting democracy and human rights in the Middle East and North Africa. The position reports to the Executive Director of DAWN and will be preferably based in the New York City or Washington DC areas.
- Oversee and manage the development of the Khashoggi Index; supervise staff analysts and other team members in compilation of data and statistical analysis;
- Prepare annual Index Report and related public products, including analysis of its statistical findings;
- Manage partnership with MIT staff and leadership;
- Supervise publication and distribution of Index;
- Engage in public advocacy and communications to explain methodology and promote Index to outside stakeholders and the general public; advocate for inclusion of the Index in foreign policy analytical research and recommendations;
- Perform other related duties as requested.
Education: An advanced degree in statistics, data analysis and/or social science research.
Experience: A minimum of seven years of experience in the field of statistics, data analysis, and/or social science research, as well as experience managing a team of researchers, ideally focused on the MENA region.
Required Skills and Knowledge:
- Demonstrated commitment to DAWN'S mission of promoting democracy and human rights in the MENA region; extensive experience working on issues related to political and social science developments in MENA;
- Expertise in statistical and/or data analysis; experience initiating and managing projects involving statistical and/or data analysis; experience preparing detailed, extensive, analytical reports as well as shorter products that distill and summarize findings;
- Excellent English oral and written communication skills; ability to articulate the data and methodology, findings and larger purpose of the Khashoggi Index to the outside world;
- Strong organizational skills and discipline;
- Ability to focus on detail, while handling multiple projects; ability to work independently; ability to meet outward-facing deadlines;
- Management experience supervising remote staff on project-based work; strong interpersonal skills to work collaboratively within DAWN, as well as with others; and,
- Ability to think creatively, initiate projects, and follow through on plans.
Salary and Benefits: DAWN seeks exceptional applicants and offers competitive compensation and employer-paid benefits. DAWN will pay reasonable relocation expenses and will assist employees in obtaining necessary work authorization, if required; citizens of all nationalities are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply: Please submit a cover letter, a resume, and contact information for three references to email@example.com
Please use "DIRECTOR OF THE KHASHOGGI INDEX Application" as the subject of your email.
Only complete applications will be reviewed, and only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Equal Opportunity Employer
DAWN is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate in its hiring practices and, in order to build the strongest possible workforce, actively seeks a diverse applicant pool.
DAWN is a human rights and advocacy organization focused on promoting rights-respecting, democratically elected governments in the Arab World. DAWN was founded by Jamal Khashoggi and works to uphold his vision for freedom, human rights and democracy in the Middle East and North Africa.
Job Type: Full-time